It is no secret that the older a woman gets, the more her fertility declines. The biological snooze button does exist, but women should know when to listen to it, and when they should ignore it.

Should You Hit Snooze

Studies show that the biological clock begins ticking when women reach the age of 27; women are then considered 10 percent less fertile. Women who are between the ages of 19 and 26 have a higher chance of conception during their fertile days – a 50 percent chance of conception. Those odds drop to 40 percent for women between the ages of 27 and 34. Once a woman turns 35, she has a 30 percent chance of conceiving during her most fertile days, which are 2 days before ovulation begins. If you and your partner are older than 35, you have a 20 percent chance of conception.

The choice to hit your biological snooze button is entirely up to you, but you should keep in mind these odds when doing so.

Over 35

You can hit the snooze button after 35, but you should keep in mind that your odds of conception will decrease. Women can conceive and have live births after 35, but they are at a greater risk for complications. For instance, only 50 percent of women 40 and older will carry a baby to full-term and have a successful live birth.
Men who are over 35 may have issues with conception as well. Some specialists believe that a man’s sperm begins to depreciate once he reaches 35 years of age, while others believe that a man’s fertility issues are caused by outside factors, such as smoking, alcohol consumption, being overweight, and stress.

Smashing the Clock

With more and more advances in the medical field, you may be able to hit the snooze button on your biological clock without worrying about the odds. There is a new fertility treatment that actually allows women to conceive later on in life. The procedure – developed in Israel – basically restarts ovulation. Specialists will freeze a woman’s ovarian tissue, and implant that tissue back into the woman at a later date so she can restart ovulation.

Many women who have to take chemotherapy treatments will suffer from infertility. This ovarian tissue freezing procedure can give them hope of conceiving once they have finished with chemotherapy.

Like any fertility treatment procedure, there can be complications. This treatment is no exception. More work has to be done in order for this procedure to become a success. In 2012, Melbourne Australia reported a pregnancy due to this procedure. The result was a miscarriage. Doctors hope to develop the treatment more so that it can become a fertility option for all women around the world. If this does happen, women could not only ignore the biological snooze button; they can smash the clock altogether.

With fertility treatments and procedures being developed, more and more women have been hitting the snooze button on their biological clocks. The choice of hitting your snooze button is entirely up to you and your partner.

If you’re ready to move forward with IVF treatment, please contact us to get started. We’ll answer all of your questions in a free initial consultation at our Queensland office on the Sunshine Coast or Bundaberg. We also offer initial consults via skype, for your convenience.